International Visiting Research Trainees (IVRT) visit the Law School to work on their research, collaborate with Osgoode faculty members, and contribute to the research and academic life at Osgoode, while enrolled in a program of study at their home institution. All visitors of the law school will require a full-time faculty member to sponsor their visit.
- IVRTs are registered as degree-seeking students at their home university and are not registered or enrolled in courses at York University
- Applicants should demonstrate oral and written English proficiency (if applicable, see below)
- Applicants must secure their own funding, as Osgoode does not fund these visits in any way
These visits can range from 1 to 12 months.
Recruitment of IVRTs are done through individual faculty members who have opportunities available. Details are outlined on the York International IVRT website. The steps for applying to Osgoode are outlined below.
- Applicants should contact a faculty member who might be interested in their project and willing to serve as their faculty sponsor.
- Once a faculty sponsor has been confirmed, please contact Erika Robinson from the Office of External Relations & Communications at email@example.com to request the application details. Please include the following details in your email: name of Osgoode faculty sponsor; anticipated visit dates; institution that you are affiliated with; and confirmation of your current status (graduate student, undergrad, etc).
- Please refer to the relevant deadlines below:
- For visits during the Fall (September to December) or Winter (January to April) academic term – applications are due on the preceding February 28th.
- For visits during the Summer (May to August) academic term – applications are due on the preceding October 31st.
Exceptions may be requested in conjunction with applications that must be submitted early to meet the requirements of prospective funding sources. Under extenuating circumstances, an applicant may also submit a request to have an application evaluated outside of these time frames, if the visit is under one month. In all cases, however, applicants should anticipate that a response will take approximately eight weeks.
A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score is required for applicants whose first language is not English and who have not completed at least three years of full-time study at a post-secondary institution or in a country where English is the official language of instruction.
To be considered, applicants must possess a Total Score not less than 93, with a minimum of 22 for Writing and 22 for Speaking. Alternatively, Osgoode will also accept test results of the academic test format offered by the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). IELTS results should be no less than 7.0 in the academic format.