The Family Law Project is the flagship project of PBSC. During the school year, we place 60 volunteers (30 each from Osgoode. and U of T) who assist self-represented litigants across the GTA. Each student is placed in one of the following 5 courts for a weekly 3 to 4 hour shift.
- 47 Sheppard Ave E (near Sheppard–Yonge Station)
- 311 Jarvis St (east of Dundas Station, about a 5 – 10 minute walk)
- 393 University Ave (near St. Patrick Station)
- Brampton Court (7755 Hurontario St, just north of the 407 on Hurontario St)
- Newmarket Court (50 Eagle St W, at Eagle St and Yonge St, near the Upper Canada Mall and the Newmarket Go Bus Terminal)
The Family Law Project is an incredible opportunity for students to gain client-facing and legal drafting experience in the fast-paced environment of the court. Furthermore, students work with clients who are over the income threshold for legal aid but cannot afford a lawyer, and thus are an active part of battling the access to justice crisis. The students help clients to fill out courts forms and with various tasks, including applying for custody, access, and child support, filing motions, drafting court orders, and more!
How Many Students?
What kind of Project?
Client Assistance & Intake
Who Can Apply?
Prerequisites / Assets?
Additional language fluency is an asset
Where Will You be Volunteering?
Various courthouses – see description above