This course will: (a) introduce students to statutory language; and (b) give students the opportunity to develop practical skills in the interpretation and application of statutory provisions. Various topics will be discussed, including:
1. Judicial approaches to statutory interpretation;
2. Interpretive Theory;
3. The nature of “legislative intent”;
4. Maxims and Rules of Interpretation, both common law and statutory;
5. Interpretive Presumptions;
6. Judicial notice;
7. Practical considerations in legislative drafting; and
7. Evidence of legislative intent.
The overall emphasis is on the language of the law and the practical application of statutory language and concepts.