Osgoode is committed to supporting students’ academic achievement and well-being.
To help students do their best work in the classroom and beyond we offer:
- The support of the Associate Dean (Students), a faculty member who coordinates sessions on key academic skills and carries out individual consultations with students.
- The Dean’s Fellows Program, which pairs an upper-year mentor with each first-year course.
- Necessary accommodations for those facing challenges arising from physical, medical, sensory, mental health or learning disabilities.
Osgoode recognizes that maintaining a balanced and healthy life is integral to achieving personal, academic and professional success. To help students fulfil their potential, we have two Success and Wellness Counsellors, both professional counsellors and former practicing lawyers. They offer the following services, exclusively for Osgoode JD students:
- Short-term, individual professional counselling
- Wellness groups and workshops
The Osgoode Peer Support Centre is an entirely student volunteer-driven service for JD students seeking a positive space and supportive individual to speak with about a variety of concerns.
For more information about resources available to promote the well-being of Canadian law students, visit JustBalance.ca.
The Extended Time Program allows students, whose life circumstances prevent them from engaging in a full-time study program, to reduce their courses to approximately half the required course load. Such circumstances would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Family obligations such as childcare, or care of elderly, ill or disabled family members
- Temporary or long-term illness or disability
- Financial hardship