Medical and Travel Information

Health and Safety

You should contact your doctor to address any health issues before you leave on exchange. Depending on your destination, you may need vaccines and immunizations. You should ensure that they have sufficient travel health insurance. Check the current Legal & Lit Supplemental Health Insurance Policy to review your coverage levels. Most students going on exchange take out additional health insurance. For regional and country-specific information on health and safety risks, see:

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Current information on diseases worldwide and recommended precautions for travellers.

The International Association for Medical Assistance for Travellers (IAMAT) Climate charts, current information on diseases in the region, and a list of doctors worldwide. This is a non-profit, user-funded site; consider a donation if you use it.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAIT) Detailed country-specific security information. You can choose to register with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade; registration assists the Canadian Government in locating and evacuating Canadian citizens abroad in the event of a security crisis.

Travel Documents

If you travel outside Canada, you’re responsible for ensuring you have a passport valid for six months beyond the duration of their journey, as well as all visas and study permits required by your host country.

Funding Your Study Abroad

Explore ›