Future Applicants – Credit/No Credit Grades due to COVID-19:  We recognize that many universities moved to a credit/no credit model, or some variation thereof, for the Winter 2020 term and, in some instances, for the Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 terms.  Please be aware that performance in one or two terms is rarely a determinative factor in our application assessment, given our holistic admissions process.  We will not draw an adverse inference if your university mandated a CR/NCR model or if you elected this option.  Any grade appearing on your undergraduate university transcript will be included in the calculation of your cumulative GPA.  Any “credit” or “pass” notation will not be included in the calculation of your cumulative GPA but will count towards the number of credits you have completed. There are no changes to the eligibility requirements, application procedure or deadlines.

Official transcripts are required from each post secondary institution you have attended.

This includes transcripts for:

  • Work taken on Letter of Permission
  • Transfer credit
  • Exchange program credit

International Baccalaureate (IB) or Advanced Placement (AP) transcripts are not required.

Transfer credits, Letter of Permission credits and/or exchange program credits recorded on the transcript of another university/college cannot be accepted in place of the transcript from the university/college where the course was taken.

To be official, transcripts must be sent directly from the registrar’s office to OLSAS.

Grade Conversions

Grades from a North American university are converted to a standard 4.0 system in order to provide a uniform basis for comparing applicants. The conversion of grades is based on a standard table agreed to by the seven Ontario law schools and is applied by OLSAS. The OLSAS grade conversion table is available here.

Foreign and Private Universities

Transcripts from outside North America are not converted by OLSAS. Applicants must ensure foreign credentials are the equivalent to a recognized Canadian degree before applying. An evaluation of foreign credentials from the World Education Service is required. This evaluation must be based on a course-by-course assessment and must specify Canadian degree, grade and credit hour equivalency.

You are not required to have your transcripts evaluated by WES:

  • if you attended university in the United States.  OLSAS will convert grades of courses taken at accredited universities in the US.
  • for courses taken as part of an exchange program, as long as transfer credits for these courses appear on the home university transcript.
  • if your graduate studies were taken outside Canada and the US, although such evaluation may be requested.
  • if you are a National Committee of Accreditation candidate.