Osgoode provides e-mail and calendaring services through Microsoft 365 Outlook.
- Your Osgoode e-mail address is branded with osgoode.yorku.ca
- Access e-mail and calendar through Outlook on the Web, the Outlook Desktop Client and through your mobile device
- Shared mailboxes are available for departments and events
- You can share your mailbox and calendars with others
- If you do not have an account setup, see how employees are onboarded
Using the E-mail and Calendaring Service
- See Accessing E-mail and Calendaring for instructions on accessing your e-mail accounts
- Watch a Microsoft Introduction Video on using Outlook
- Read a Quick Start guide for using Outlook
- Get some additional tips and tricks for using Outlook – Outlook – Tips & Tricks
- For additional training and resources, see Working with Microsoft 365 Apps
- See Managing Spam and Phishing E-mails to learn how to identify, and deal with fraudulent messages
Managing your E-mail Addresses
You have two e-mail addresses:
E-mails sent to either address will be delivered to the same mailbox, but you can only send from your default address.
Your default address is automatically set to your @osgoode.yorku.ca address. You can verify this by opening the address book, clicking To and finding your contact. The e-mail address displayed is your default address.
To change your default e-mail address, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request the change.
Recalling an E-mail Message
If you send an e-mail by mistake, or to the wrong recipient(s), the message can be recalled.
Note: The message can only be recalled from a recipient who has not read the message. There may also be a delay recalling a message delivered to a mobile device.
- Go into your Sent Items in the Outlook client
- Open the e-mail you want to recall
- On the toolbar, click the three dots, then Actions then Recall This Message…
- Select the options you want and click OK to recall the message
Setting E-mail Forwarding
See Setting E-mail Forwarding for instructions on how to forward your e-mails to an external address.
Automatic Replies (Out of Office)
Setting Automatic Replies
- From Outlook, click File – Automatic Replies
- Configure the settings you want for your automatic reply
Setting Automatic Replies on Shared Mailboxes
- Sign in to Outlook on the web
- Click the profile icon on the top right and click Open another mailbox
- Type the e-mail address of the shared mailbox
- Click Settings and Configuration on the top right
- Click Automatic Replies and configure the settings you want
Shared Mailboxes and Calendars
Sharing Personal Mailboxes and Calendars
Delegating Access to your Mailbox
- Click File -> Account settings then click Delegate Access
- Click Add
- Select the person from the address book and click Add
- Click Ok
- Beside Inbox, select Editor (or the permission level you wish to set)
- Check Automatically send a message to delegate summarizing these permissions
- Click Ok
Accessing a Person’s Mailbox
- Click File -> Open & Export
- Click Other User’s Folder
- Type in the person’s full name, and click Ok
Delegating Access to your Calendar
- In Outlook, click the Calendar button
- Right click on Calendar – email@example.com and click Properties…
- Click the Permissions tab
- Click Add… and then add name(s) of the people to whom you want to delegate calendar access
- Click OK
- Click the person’s name, and select the level of access to delegate
Accessing a Person’s Calendar
- In Outlook, click the Calendar button
- Right-click on My Calendars -> Add Calendar -> From Address Book…
- Add the name of the person’s calendar to open and click OK
- The calendar will now appear under My Calendars
Sharing Departmental Mailboxes
Creating a Departmental Mailbox
Shared mailboxes can be used for departments or groups that have a need to communicate to clients from a single address. Complete the New Shared Mailbox Request Form to request a shared mailbox.
Accessing Shared Mailboxes
- Your manager must request shared mailbox access by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org containing the following information:
- Full Name of the person requiring access
- E-mail address of the shared mailbox
- Once access has been granted, see Accessing E-mail and Calendaring for instructions on accessing the shared mailbox
Creating Room Resources
You can add a departmental meeting room to the address book in Outlook, which will allow members of your department to schedule that meeting room as part of calendar invites.
- The department manager must send a ticket to email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of Room (Ignat Kaneff Building, RoomNumber)
- The room capacity
- Full names of everyone authorized to book the room
Booking Room Resources
- Create a new meeting from the calendar
- Click Location
- Search for Ignat Kaneff Building or One Dundas Street
- Double-click the room you want to book and click OK
Note: The room’s availability will show in the Scheduling Assistant tab.
- Full Time Staff
- Temporary Staff
- Full Time / CLA Faculty
- Visiting / Adjunct Faculty
There is no charge for this service.