Course Announcements in eClass (Recommended)
When using the Course Announcements tool, messages will also be e-mailed to all students registered in your class, directly to their preferred e-mail addresses. Don’t worry, this is only an Instructor-to-student messaging tool so students won’t be able to reply or create their own announcements.
Important: Your course needs to be visible for course announcement e-mails to be delivered to students.
Option 1 – Make your course visible, send the announcement, then hide the the course again.
Option 2 – Hide individual blocks that are under construction in your course, and let the course site remain visible.
Option 3 – If you do not want to make your course visible but need to communicate with your class, follow the ‘Using MyOsgoode Class Lists’ instructions below to e-mail your class.
Follow these instructions to use the Course Announcements feature, or watch the video.
- Click Course Announcements on your course homepage
- Click Add a new topic
- Enter a Subject and write your message in the Message text box. If the message will be lengthy, consider entering a short summary here and attaching a more complete document.
- If you would like to attach a file to your post either drag and drop a file from your hard drive into the marked area (dashed rectangle), or click to upload a file.
- To post the announcement right away, and have the e-mail sent automatically in 15 minutes, click Post to forum Otherwise, click Advanced
- If you want the e-mail to be sent immediately, check the Send forum post notifications with no editing-time delay
- In the Display period section you may select a time period during which the announcement will be displayed. To enable the start and/or end dates, click the Enable box(es) and set the dates and times
- Click Post to forum at the bottom of the page to post the announcement. You will see a message indicating that you have 15 minutes to edit the post before participants in your course will receive an e-mail notification.
Note: Students who enroll in the course after you have sent the course announcement can view old announcements by clicking the Course Announcement link.
See eClass Training Videos for a video explaining all the detailed features of sending a message.
Using MyOsgoode Class Lists
You can generate a list of your students using the Class Lists on MyOsgoode. Note that this list is updated daily as students add and remove courses.
- Sign In to https://myosgoode.yorku.ca using your Passport York credentials
- Click Osgoode Course/Seminar Email and Lists
- Locate your course and click Class Photos
- Click Export Student Names to CSV
- An Excel file will download to your computer. Copy the e-mail addresses from the Excel file into the BCC field of your new e-mail message
- Click Check Names to resolve the student names (Optional)
- Enter the content of your e-mail into the body, and send the e-mail
Creating a Contact Group
You can create a contact group with the students’ e-mail addresses. Note that this group would need to be updated when students add or remove the course.
- In Outlook, click the People button
- Click New Contact Group
- Provide a name for the contact group
- Click Add Members -> New E-mail Contact
- Paste the addresses in the E-mail address: field
- Click OK -> Save & Close
Tip: See detailed instructions with screenshots.