Government Assistance Programs

Toggle secondary navigation

Government student loan programs are a key source of support for most law students.  We strongly encourage all Osgoode students to apply for federal and provincial student loans. To ensure that your government funding is in place before you arrive in September, you should apply as early as possible (late spring/early summer).  Having your government funding in place by September is also important, as it is an eligibility requirement for the Osgoode bursary program.

Federal Student Loans

You are automatically considered for federal student loans when you apply for a student loan in your home province. This combined plan offers loan assistance to students who are permanent residents of Canada, satisfy provincial residency requirements, and demonstrate financial need. To be eligible for funding  as a full-time student, you must be registered in at least 60% of a full course load of at least 12 weeks in duration (40% for students with disabilities).

For more information on student loans, click here.

Ontario Students

Ontario students are eligible for further provincial loans through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). Students may be eligible for additional bursaries through OSAP.

Students should complete the online OSAP application, which is available in the spring, as soon as possible.  Ontario students must complete the online application no later than June 30 in order for York University to defer your tuition fees until the receipt of your OSAP funding or October 10, whichever comes first.

Once you have completed your online application, you must submit your signature pages and supporting documentation directly to York’s Office of Student Financial Services at:

Student Financial Services – York University
Bennett Centre for Student Services
4700 Keele Street, Toronto, ON, Canada, M3J 1P3

You can check the status of your application on the OSAP website to confirm your final entitlement and also to learn if any additional documentation is needed.

Please note that OSAP has implemented a lifetime loan agreement that covers the students while they are in school. Students are required to print the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement and take it to a designated post office (not York University) with identification. Students only need to do this once.

Complete Ontario Student Loan information can be found here.

For step-by-step instructions on submitting your OSAP application visit it York University – Student Financial Services.

Please note: York University, not Osgoode Student Financial Services, handles all OSAP related inquiries.  If you have any questions, contact York Financial Services at 416-872-9675.

Students with Disabilities

If you have a permanent disability you can apply for aid according to guidelines on the OSAP website. Carefully read the section on the OSAP site, entitled Students with Disabilities to ensure that you are fully aware of all the aid and grants for which you may qualify.

Specialized assistance with repayment of student loans is also available to students with permanent disabilities including:

In addition to student loans, OSAP provides a number of grants and bursaries to students with disabilities including:

Students Planning to Study Abroad

York requires all students who are going on exchange and applying for OSAP to complete the Exchange – OSAP Supplemental Information Form. Return the completed form to York’s Student Financial Service Office at the Bennett Centre to be eligible to receive your OSAP funding.

The dates of your study period for your OSAP application must reflect the academic schedule at the host institution, not Osgoode’s term dates. Students may need to complete separate OSAP applications for terms at Osgoode and terms on exchange, if fees are being paid to the other institution.

For more information please visit York University – Student Financial Services.

Out of Province Students

Out of Province students are encouraged to apply for funding from their home province or territory. Links to all other Provincial and Territorial loan websites will be found here.

Please note that York University does not defer tuition for out of province students. The first half of tuition is due on the first day of classes in the fall.