The Criminal Law Division provides free legal representation to individuals charged with certain criminal offences under the Criminal Code of Canada where the Crown is proceeding summarily, and who have been denied a Legal Aid Certificate. Some of the charges most commonly represented by CLASP include: Assault, Uttering Threats, Mischief Under $5000, Fraud Under $5000, Theft Under $5000, and Fail to Comply.
Clients whose cases are accepted will be assigned a student caseworker. Under the direct supervision of a licensed lawyer, the caseworker will represent the client at court appearances and throughout the completion of the file (e.g. peace bond, guilty plea, trial).
We provide legal representation to individuals at five courthouses in the Toronto area.
- Metro North (1000 Finch Avenue West)
- Metro West (2201 Finch Avenue West)
- College Park (444 Yonge Street)
- Old City Hall (60 Queen Street West)
- Metro East (1911 Eglinton Avenue East)
The Criminal Law Division also provides assistance with:
- Record Suspension Applications
- Police Complaints
- Appeals to the Toronto Police Service for refusal of destruction of non-conviction criminal records, photographs, and fingerprints
If you have been charged with a criminal offence or have a legal issue that you require assistance with, please contact CLASP to determine if we can assist you.