How to Migrate to OneDrive – macOS
Migrate Files to OneDrive – macOS
- Download and install the desktop version of OneDrive: https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-ca/download/
- If you have the App Store version of OneDrive installed, please uninstall it before installing the Desktop version
- MacBook must be running at MacOS 10.12 or newer
- Once OneDrive is installed, a window will appear to Set Up OneDrive. Enter PYUsername@yorku.ca and your Passport York Password
- If you already have OneDrive files synced, Press next
- At the end of the setup, click on “Open My OneDrive Folder”
- Control + Click the folder and select New Folder
- Name the folder “OneDrive Backup” or something similar
- Drag and drop or copy and paste the files/folders you would like to backup in this OneDrive folder
- Once all files have successfully copied, migration is complete
Note: If you are backing up multiple files, the migration may take some time depending on the file size. Due to OneDrive’s 15 TB file size limit, files over 15 TB must remain in the network drive.
Locating the OneDrive Folder
- Click on the OneDrive icon on the top right of the menu bar
- Click on Open Folder to view your local OneDrive library on your computer or View Online to view your online OneDrive library
Files on Demand
Files on Demand saves space in your hard drive by keeping the files online and downloading them when opened.
- Make sure you’re signed in to OneDrive on your device.
- Select OneDrive cloud icon in the Windows taskbar notification area.
- Select More > Settings.
- On the Settings tab, select the Save space and download files as you use them